I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Friday, January 11, 2013

squiggle signature

I'm not as worked up as some of the talking heads are about the lack of diversity among President Obama's inner circle. One thing does bug me a little bit.

Jack Lew, for example - I'm led to believe that he is a smart, capable guy. However, it doesn't sit all that well with me that he just bumbles around Washington DC from one post to the next (budget director, chief of staff, now treasury).

Are the skill sets required for each of these jobs so similar that one guy is the best our nation has? Maybe he was the world's best chief of staff, but does that necessarily translate to being the best person to run the treasury?

Perhaps it does - I'm young and only recently starting following Washington closely. I get the sense that it has always been the same cast of characters in our nation's capital...

4 comments:

  1. I should add that I hope he doesn't change his signature - it's awesome.

    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02447/Lew--signature_2447839b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys generally do adopt a legible signature for the money.

      I hope he does. The money is getting loopy enough as it is.

      Delete
  2. Nice observation. Since the Administration recently stated that they choose personnel based on “the best candidate available” perhaps (someone thinks) Jack is a polymath. Yeah, I’m not buying that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is precedent for this type of thing. For instance I believe that James Baker was Chief of Staff to both Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush and also served as Treasury Secretary and Secretary of State. As far as I know he did an outstanding job in all of those capacities. Is Jack Lew on par with James Baker? I guess we'll see.

      Delete