I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Friday, May 2, 2014

Buying stuff or not buying stuff

In the post a few days ago about Brendan Eich we stumbled across the idea of making purchasing decisions based on issues you care about - like the many of us who choose not to eat at Chik-Fil-A based on their views on same sex marriage.

I recognize that this can be problematic. Of course, we could all probably find things lying around the house made by a company whose policies or practices would make us uneasy. Sometimes, though, I think the decision to buy or not buy a thing is very easy.

For example: I refuse to buy bottled water because the idea that water is a privatized good seems immoral and indefensible to me. This is not to say that bottled water can't serve an important function (i.e. disaster relief).

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what this says about me but I never consider the political stances of the people running the companies I buy from when I make a purchase. There are just too many variables for me to even know, much less process. And I don't think I feel totally comfortable about trying to punish people for having beliefs that are not in harmony with my own. I have friends, in fact just about all of my friends, that have beliefs that I think are downright crazy. I live in a very red part of the still red state of Texas after all. But I do not consider punishing them or trying to harm their standard of living. For one thing, as unlikely as it might seem to me on any particular issue, I could be wrong. I am no stranger to that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason my post showed up twice so I deleted one copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan, as you may recall the gay community conducted a Kiss-in to protest the stance of Chick-Fil-A’s chief executive. I like your approach much better. Just don’t patronize their store.

    Bruce has a very good point. If you are really hungry for a chicken sandwich does it matter what their CEO believes on the subject of gay marriage? If it does don’t go, as you suggest, but their sandwiches are really really good.

    Problematic is a good way to put it and I suppose many of us have companies we don’t do business with for some reason. You may not do business with Chick-Fil-A, I don’t do business with AARP (but I might if they served a really good chicken sandwich).

    ReplyDelete