I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Why Zeke Emanuel hopes to die at 75

Here is an article called "Why I Hope to Die at 75" by Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel who teaches at the University of Pennsylvania and used to work in the Obama administration.

I have some real reservations about what he writes - he couches nearly the entire piece in terms of how we "contribute to work, society, the world" asking whether or not after 75 we are "worth our contribution" and he dismisses as trivial such pleasant activities as "bird watching, bicycle riding, pottery, and the like." I ask, what about being in love? Being a "productive" member of society seems to me a sad way to measure life.

Still, the article was interesting, I think, worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. Dan, like you I have trouble with his rationale, but the article does touch on a couple of concepts that have given me concern.

    One is the NET TRUE BENEFIT of extraordinary medical treatment for all individuals, but especially older people. Concerning medical treatment the mindset that we and our physicians have assumed is that if we can do it we should. I doubt this is the best approach.

    The second concept is that of self termination. If it were possible to simply flip a switch and instantly “be no longer” how many people would do so? Especially among seniors that have lost quality of life. I have also wondered why we in the West view this with such repulsion.

    ReplyDelete