I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Monday, August 18, 2014

"Obama should sue right back"


I am sure that individuals ought not be allowed to sue the President.  But the House has the right of impeachment so if anyone can sue the president I suppose that the House is the one.


I saw this article and thought - "this should be funny."  It wasn't.

The author thought that gerrymandering (in the extreme at least) was undemocratic and the House is supposed to be democratic.  Therefore the Courts would have a right to require States to do this in a nonpartisan manner.

After I thought about it a minute I agreed.

 

1 comment:

  1. I would like to go on record as someone who would like to see the practice of gerrymandering abolished by statute. That having been said I find the article nonsensical and while Mr. Geoghegan’s indignation at gerrymandering may be genuine it is difficult to take him seriously when he makes claims of a gerrymandering constitutional crisis.

    As Mr. Geoghegan states in his article (you have to read pretty far down) gerrymandering is not only perfectly legal it has been practiced by all political parties for over 200 years.

    The only thing I find disturbing in the article is the following quote.

    ”Sovereignty aside, as a guardian of Americans’ voting rights, the administration at least has a moral right to sue.” Obviously Mr. Geoghegan does not understand the meaning of a “Nation of laws”

    ReplyDelete