I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

hometown

I have lived 34 years in a small university town whose ambiance suits me very well. The smallness gives it a basically conservative flavor. The university gives it a liberal aspirational quality. I came of age in the sixties and “therefore” developed a liberal self-image. However, my liberal friends indicate that I no longer qualify for the label. The most important litmus test that I fail on is that I do not support the notion of the Supreme Court as a continuously sitting constitutional convention. I am probably no longer any more to that side than say “center left”. Perhaps I like this place so much because it is one of the (probably few) places where I can simultaneously hold my beliefs and retain that self-image.

No comments:

Post a Comment