I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Saturday, September 18, 2010

First Amendment

I did not participate on Draw Mohammed Day - see 5-20 but I think that we need another presidential speech on the 1st Amendment.
Note: Awlaki, who put Molly Norris on their assassination list, is himself on America's kill or capture list.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm! You have my attention. What is the president going to say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from KW
    Wayne, I am currently a regular monthly supporter of the ACLU. As you know, they support the First Amendment without equivocation, defending unpopular people across the political spectrum. They would, I suppose, defend the First Amendment rights of both Molly and Anwar. However, the question is whether one has the first amendment right to call for someone's assassination? I think that this is like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater--and not covered by the First Amendment. Molly deserves to be defended;he doesn't.

    I hope there are Muslim moderates out there. This man would not be one of them. I think these Muslim fanatics have much in common with Christian fanatics who try to bomb abortion clinics. What I object to is the notion that guys like this Anwar are the "real" Muslims, that all Muslims are required by the Quran to hate Christians, etc. The reason that moderate Muslims don't speak out against the Anwars, even though moderates are in a majority, is that doing so would put them in the position of appearing to support the USA, which has done some pretty stupid things in the mid-east during the past ten years.

    I don't know if these comments have any direct bearing on your concern, but if they do, you can copy them and put them on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The elephant in the living room is that someone has threatened to kill another individual. I don’t see a 1st amendment issue here.

    ReplyDelete