I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why? (a question for my liberal friends)

Suppose you were a Democratic Congressman who had voted for the stimulus bill to fund all of Obama's "shovel ready projects".
What would you think of Obama's recent statement that "there is no such thing as a shovel ready project"?
(David Brooks said on the PBS evening news that O had told him that - not for attribution - almost a year ago.)
It is not just one slip.
Biden says that people don't like the Health-care bill because it is too complicated.
The old "call the voters stupid" plan.

4 comments:

  1. Some voters are stupid; others are shallow thinkers or just careless and not willing to work very hard at checking/finding evidence.

    Presidents should never tell lies--nor should any of us, but we do, alas. We (voters) say we "are tired of politicians who lie to us," but if they didn't we would kick them out of office even sooner.

    The health care bill is complex, by the way, as would be any legislation subject to compromise, especially if that legislation address a complicated issue or problem. Do you really think Biden was wrong in what he said; do you really want to be so reductionist as to reduce his comment to "blame the stupid voter"???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not about lying.
    The point of (both cases in) the post is that just because it is true doesn't mean you have to say it. There is a lot of room between lying and telling everything you know.
    If I were a Democratic candidate who had put my legislative career on the line for the President I would be livid that he couldn't wait until after the election to tell people that he hadn't known what he was talking about when he got me to cast that vote.
    It is not the kind of error that I expected from Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To KW – When I hear Biden say that I don’t like the Health Care Bill because I don’t understand it he could mean that I am un-informed, less intelligent than he, or too simple minded. No matter how I twist or contort his comment in his favor I end up being insulted.

    To Wayne – When you refer to Obama’s error may I assume that the “error” is the political error of admitting to the deception of using the phrase (false concept) of “shovel ready projects”?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not the kind of error that I expected from Obama.

    Yes. That time I meant the political error.
    But I didn't expect the other error either: not knowing that there were no shovel ready public works projects.

    ReplyDelete