I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Monday, June 20, 2011

The debt problem

.
I am told (by a liberal friend) that the people want their SS and medicare like it is and they won't tolerate a reduction by the Rs.
The Ds do not propose serious "revenue enhancements" to pay for it though. This view leads to no serious reduction in the deficit and, therefore, bankruptcy.
I believe that.

The Rs are opposed to any "revenue enhancements". I am told (by Paul Ryan) that to avoid bankruptcy we will have to drastically cut future medicare benefits for those under 55 .
This view leads to serious difficulty for some of those older folks beginning in 2021.
I believe that, too. But at least it addresses the problem. It also leaves a lot of time to deal with the medicare problem it creates before that problem actually gets here.

I think that the Ds need to propose raising taxes - yes-seriously (and on all of us not just the superrich - that won't get enough) to show that they are as serious as Paul Ryan.

I would then support combining both programs to deal with the fiscal problem.

But if one side is serious about the debt prolem and the other is not, then I will go with the serious side.
.

1 comment:

  1. The Rs want spending cuts, but insist on categorizing a reduction in tax code expenditures, such as removing the Ethanol subsidy, as a tax hike and therefore unacceptable Speaking as a fiscal conservative, and an ex R I would be in favor of doing away with all subsidies in the interest of facilitating less governmental control, AND I would consider it a reduction in spending. If we could apply the saving to the national debt or the budget deficit that would be a plus.

    ReplyDelete