I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Saturday, September 24, 2011

taxing the rich

.
I do want to raise taxes on the rich. But I am very much opposed to a tax at this time on ONLY the very rich.

It doesn't affect me directly. (I won't qualify for it.)

But the thing is that I think that those of us in the middle are also going to have to pay more to get the country back on track. In particular, I think that we should return to the Clinton tax rates of the nineties. (Maybe, because of the recession, not right now.)

If you BEGIN that return to the Clinton tax rates with a tax on the rich, then when you get ready to get serious about our problems and go the rest of the way and return to Clinton rates on the rest of us(where the real money is) you will have a problem. Because then (I can hear them now) you will be raising taxes "only on the middle class and letting the rich off scot free."

I'll leave aside my disappointment that Obama has abandoned the attempt to solve our problems in favor of a 14 month presidential campaign.
.

1 comment:

  1. Can we return the government to the size it was in the Clinton era as well?

    ReplyDelete