I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Conversation About Race


Americans are repeatedly exhorted to have a “conversation about race”.  Many of us have been reluctant to participate in such a conversation.  One concern is that some of those who want this conversation the most will be more than willing to label anyone who disagrees with them as a – racist!

But this is not new.  A friend of mine once told me that you really shouldn’t consider yourself to be a good liberal unless you had been called a communist.  I think most of my conservative friends have been called fascist a time or two.  It goes even beyond that.  I find a lot of folks seem to be quite unable to accept the idea that someone is a centrist.  They want to know: “What is the centrist’s doctrine?”  It reminds me of Bertrand Russell’s incarceration in 1918 for opposing WWI.  At check in he was asked his religion and when he responded ‘agnostic’ the lady said, “Well, there are so many new religions these days, but I suppose they all worship the same God.” 

So with some fear and trepidation I will begin my part of the conversation. 

Tomorrow.


"The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race."  Chief Justice John Roberts, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment