I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lincoln on Kentucky

Lincoln saw Kentucky as crucial to winning the coming struggle to save the union. He was reported to have said “ I should like to think that I have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.”

2 comments:

  1. A pragmatic statement to be sure. But why did Lincoln feel that Kentucky's support was crucial? Political/Military? Strategic/Tactical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Ohio river and the centrist geography had something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete