I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Draw Mohammad day

Today was “Draw Mohammad day” on Facebook.
I am not participating.
I don’t really see what is gained by doing something solely to offend someone.
On the other hand, any “freedom of speech” worthy of
the name must include the right to offend, even gratuitously.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that doing something solely to offend is not productive. Open question - Would building a mosque at ground zero fall in that category?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps we will have an opportunity to see the much vaunted "overwhelming majority of peace loving Muslims" in action as they themselves demand that that not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In today's PC world do we really still have the right to offend? I am asking about de facto not de jure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also did not participate, but not for any high-minded reason. First, I was a little preoccupied at the time. And second, I'm not very creative or clever.

    If I were as creative and clever as those whose submissions won reason.com's "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day" contest, I certainly would have participated. The dot-to-dot is trenchantly funny, as a good, constructive, and edifying political cartoon should be. See
    http://reason-contest.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

    (And yes, I know reason.com's milieu... It's read by Rush Limbaugh AND Christopher Hitchens, egad!)

    ReplyDelete