I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pi day

.
So it is pi day!!

Is it a day when math departments around the world offer visitors a cornucopia of bacchanalian delights?

No, but it is a day to celebrate pi!

What is pi?

I'm glad you asked that. I used to ask that question to my students in college math classes.
It never bothered me that they would usually say 3.14 or add on some more decimals.
They were taught to focus first on the numerical value of things, not their meaning. Therefore, one shouldn't fault them for having their first reaction be to offer a value for, rather than a definition of, pi.

So I would clarify my question. No, not the decimal approximation of the value of pi, I am asking you for the definition of pi. What does it mean?

Some knew, some didn't, and some could figure it out.

But some did not believe that something like pi needed a definition.
In their mind it had always been there, sitting on the left hand of God.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment