I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Saturday, April 28, 2012

What Would You Cut?

I have been meaning to post this for awhile.

We hear constantly that we need to cut government spending, and with that I do not disagree.  But I would like to make it a new rule (if I had that authority) that no politician of any political persuasion can say we should cut spending, or cut wasteful spending, without some specifics.  Personally I don't know if I agree with them unless I know what specific cuts they are in favor of making , and by how much.  I am not infavor of cutting just to be cutting.  I am sure that we can try be smart about this.  There are definitely some things that I do not want to see cut.  I will hold a grudge for a long time about cutting the space program.

Just for fun I would like to ask a question.  If the country came to you for help and put the power to cut spending in your sole discretion, what would be your first cut?  Something that you wouldn't even have to think about.  Something that you're just itching to cut.

This not an easy question for me so I like to ask other people what their ideas are.

Here is a link to the Whitehouse budget proposal's section for "Cuts Consolidations and Savings". 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2013/assets/ccs.pdf

I did some searching for the House passed budget and do not find it online, which is not to say it's not online, but I don't find it.  I see quotes and arguments about it but that's it.  If one of you have a link I would appreciate it.


4 comments:

  1. Excellent question.

    I would make all health care that is provided by another agency (employer or government or whoever) as taxable income.

    This would hit even moderately well off medicare recipients in particular (me) without touching the senior on a small income (my mother). That is to say that it would be a very progressive tax without being explicitly graduated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can whole heartedly support Wayne’s suggestion. Here are 2 from my list.

    1. Government payroll - The average total compensation package paid to a government worker may not exceed the average total compensation package for the same service in the private sector, and the number of staff hired in the public sector to accomplish a specific volume of service may not exceed the average to perform similar services in the private sector.
    2. Subsidies - Do away with all government subsidies used for operational purposes. That would include subsidies for oil, ethanol, solar panels, wind generators, crop allotments, tobacco, HUBs, etc. (p.s. I would not do away with grants used strictly for R & D or proof of concept, but I would push them to successful programs such as DARPA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliminate the mortgage interest deduction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I would eliminate the mortgage interest deduction altogether Allen, but it does seem the mortgage interest deduction for a second home is a little over the top. I could definitely support eliminating that.

    ReplyDelete