I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Campaign 2012 Romney Miscellaneous


Social issues – I disagree with him on most of this stuff, but I do not expect he would move on that because it would be too disruptive and the money problems are too pressing. For example I am “OK with” Roe v Wade, but I wish it had been argued on the basis of the 9th amendment rather than fairy dust. 

Immigration – I supported “self deportation” before Romney named it.  It simply means enforcing the law that requires legal status in the country to work here.  This would impel those who are here and could not work here to leave.

Education – I lean his way on this.  I would like to see the Federal Government’s involvement in K-12 education be more in the area o f measuring how well the states are doing rather than direct involvement. 

The Court is the area in which I am most conservative and would therefore agree more with Romney.  I do not agree with the system of constitutional interpretation preferred by Obama which can be summarized as: “If it feels good, then I can find it in the living Constitution (or close enough for government work.)”  It is the system that gave us Dred Scott and Plessy-Ferguson.  It is currently very fashionable with liberals and they use it to further their political objectives.  They either don’t know or don’t care that in the past that same system has been used to (more or less) claim that the Constitution says that our economic system must be capitalism.  It should be noted that, in the future, that system could be used, for example, to declare that the Constitution “says” human life begins at conception and therefore all abortions are murder.  I believe that a SCOTUS justice should be tethered to something and I know of nothing more appropriate than a reasonable interpretation of what the constitution says.  So I will probably be unhappy with Obama’s selections for the SCOTUS.

So in this area he gets about a B from me on policy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment