I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Two Vignettes


TWO  VIGNETTES AT THE RAMADA INN IN
LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS,
WHICH ILLUSTRATE THE COMPLEXITY OF
MODERN LIFE

I
(1978)



Coming back from Christmas,
I and my – for lack
of a better word—lover
stop here at noon on New Year’s Day
to watch the football games.
We are quarreling over something
I can no longer remember.
We will be back to back
before the Orange Bowl is over.
(Before spring,
it will all be over,
both of us defeated
in a game no one’s made the rules for:
living two thousand miles apart
in places we can’t leave.
Distance does us in.)


II
(1983)
For reasons too complicated to explain,
my ex-husband is driving me back to Texas
after Christmas in Tennessee.
We hit Little Rock with not much time to spare:
I rush in to register; he peels off for junk food.
We settle in just as the Cowboys kick off.
On the trip we have speculated
about whom the Democrats will run in ’84,
have argued over whether we should have built the bomb
once we knew Germany didn’t have it after all,
and I have learned that driving a stick shift
is not like riding a bicycle.
We are almost twenty years from the wedding,
some thirteen from the divorce.
But marriage is not the only tie that binds.
(Later, at home, someone will ask,
“But didn’t his wife mind at all?”
and I realize that’s the first time
the idea has occurred to any of the three of us,
and so I say, “No, I expect she was glad
to have the house to herself for a while.”)

Honoria, a local Murray poet

1 comment:

  1. I love these. Where do they come from? Are there more?

    ReplyDelete