I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Libya 3

.
OK -I agree that it was a bit strange that other people were evacuated by warships and airplanes while ours were brought out late by a rented ferry.

Also on Libya (2-24-11)I kinda got carried away a bit because of the reaction of the media to the event. I should have remembered Shaw's observation: "Newspapers are unable, seemingly, to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization."

But my main reaction is delight that this seems quite different from Yugoslavia during the Clinton administration. The Europeans appear to be stepping up a lot more here than they did then. I think that it is a good sign that others are doing something instead of talking about what we should do.

I do think that we should participate in the world's dealing with these kinds of things. But it should be by doing our fair share within the appropriate international organization. That is a much better way to deal with things like this than to have unilateral intervention by the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment