I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Thursday, May 12, 2011

legal vote buying

.
I think many have said this, I chose the following version attributed to Benjamin Franklin: When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. I know a lot of people scoff at that idea.

It is true that almost all of us would view with contempt the idea that the government should send each of us $10,000 ever year. McGovern actually offered a variation of that in 72 and he got crushed.

However, a small fig leaf is sufficient.

Many of those same people will view it as quite appropriate that they should give the government a few hundred in payments and then get back $10,000 a year in medical insurance in return.
.

1 comment:

  1. Fig leafs included – Tell me I am entitled enough times and eventually I will believe.

    ReplyDelete