I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rahm's quote

.
I remember a quote by Rahm Emmanuel that I thought was cute at the time. Now I don't. Now I think it represents an attitude that is damaging us.

The other day a friend wondered whether the Tea Party would continue to be as interested in the deficit-debt if the Republicans took over the whole government in 2012. That is to say, he believes their concern over finances is just a cover for disassembling the government.

I know others who are firmly convinced that the concern that the left expresses over the environment is just a cover for expanding the government.

Everyone is distrustful of their opponents’ motives. That is fine and is warranted by a general caution. However, we have gone beyond that. Nowadays assuming that your opponent has a hidden agenda has come to be viewed as an argument in and of itself. That is the case because it is widely believed that today’s politician’s first reaction to a problem is to think – how can I use this to promote my agenda.

I don’t mean to blame this on Rahm Emmanuel, but he was the one who famously expressed the philosophy of those politicians. Remember that quote?
“Never let a crisis go to waste.”
.

No comments:

Post a Comment