I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Sunday, May 15, 2011

You can tell one at 200 yards.

.
In the summer of 1983 I got a backpack and a Eurail pass and set out to roam around Europe. I spent several days in Istanbul and returned to Thessalonika, Greece from where I went (not on the pass) through Tito's Yugoslavia to Bregenz, Austria. (Tito was dead but the Yugoslavia that he created was still in existence.) While I was in Greece a tall, blond fellow came over to the table where I was drinking my beloved chocolate milk which had been unavailable in Turkey.

He looked at me and in a very friendly voice said, "Where are you from?"

I said, "The United States."

In congenial chastisement he exclaimed, "Well, I can TELL that, I mean where in the United States."
.

No comments:

Post a Comment