I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

state of the union

.
I'm kinda sickly so I'll not say much.

There are a lot of things that he wants to do. Most of which I would support, if we were in a position to pay for them.

I do find it troublesome that he refers to a reduction in one person's taxes as equivalent to an increase in someone else's benefit. It really does give credence to the Republican's claim that Democrats think that the whole GDP belongs to the government and it lets some people keep what they earn and it gives money to others.

The main thing though is what is he asking of us? He wants more money from the rich. From the rest of us he doesn't ask for any sacrifices. I think that a return to the Clinton tax rates that is limited to those making over 350K will produce 70 Billion per year. That is less than 5% of the short and medium term problem which is a current deficit of 1.3 Trillion per year. That is not a serious attack on our money problem.

I believe that he is doing the nation a disservice by giving all of my liberal friends a basis for the belief that we can get what we need from the rich alone.

BTW I support a return to the Clinton rates for all of us. If you have to implement it in stages (because of the recession) that would be ok but adopt it now.

1 comment:

  1. "Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules."

    I picked this quote from O’s SOTU speech last night. The only nit I have is that the statement assumes, as fact, that the current economy does not give everyone a “fair” shot. I like the rest of the statement. But I don’t think it is intellectually honest. I can point to other parts of O’s speech that clearly indicate he is not asking everyone to do their “fair” share and that he clearly does not want the same rules for everyone.

    One last thought. I think the word "fair" has become a completely empty word and I issue a challenge to all readers of this blog to provide a definition of “fair” that is not self serving to a particular point of view.

    ReplyDelete