I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a good movie.  As Wiki notes, it is somewhat predictable.  Probably would not appeal to the younger set.  (In this case, that means anyone not eligible for Medicare.)

For reasons mostly financial, a group of English "seniors" head out to retire in India.  Mostly we see their frustrations with dealing with the Indians.  However, one of them uttered a line that I found quite thought provoking:  (it was approximately)

"What I like about these people is that they view life as a privilege and not as a right."

My  first reaction was to wonder how would that affect one's attitudes?  I supposed that it would make you much  more appreciative of whatever you have, even if it is not as much as you would like.  I then supposed that it would make you more open to new experiences.

Suddenly I was overcome by a feeling of philosophical shame.  What would Jefferson say?  Life is not a right to which I am endowed by my creator (either aninmate or inanimate)?  Life is a privilege for which I am to thank whom?  Lord Krishna? 

I think I will be able to work this out, but I'll have to think about it some.  

Maybe life is a privilege and the ability to live it as one chooses is the "right".

Or maybe I'll just go with Jefferson.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting and I will make it a point to see the movie.

    I will have to say that I perceive “rights” as constructs of man so I will thank men (Jefferson and the other founding fathers in particular). I also see “privilege” as a construct of man, but somehow I can’t relate the concept of privilege to life (or being).

    ReplyDelete