I disagree with Hightower.

What you will find here is: a centrist's view of current events;
a collection of thoughts, arguments, and observations
that I have found appealing and/or amusing over the years;
and, if you choose, your civil contributions which will make it into a conversation.

He not busy bein' born, is busy dyin'. - Bob Dylan

Please refer to participants only by their designated identities.

suggestion for US citizens: When a form asks for your race, write in: -- American

Friday, January 21, 2011

Mike Mansfield

.
Mike Mansfield (1903-2001) was a member of the US Senate from Montana from 1953-77 and he was the Senate Majority Leader - D from 1961-77. After his time in the Senate he was the American Ambassador to Japan.
He was a man of few, but honest, words. I have a (not completely reliable) memory of him at a press conference responding to three questions in a row with one word answers.
The Senate’s committee structure was totally dominated by the seniority system in those days and there was a movement to reform it. One reporter asked Mansfield what he thought about the seniority system and Mansfield replied, “When I first came to the Senate I didn’t think much of it, but now that I’ve been here awhile, I like it.”
.

No comments:

Post a Comment